Animal Control

-A +A

The By-Law Enforcement Department is responsible for Animal Control within the Town’s Limits. The By-Law Enforcement Officers are also responsible for the operations & maintenance of The Town of Fort Frances Animal Shelter.


Dogs and cats are the greatest stress relievers, exercise buddies, cuddle companions, kids’ pals, etc. Return your pet’s love and loyalty by being a responsible pet owner.


  • Provide adequate food, water, exercise, shelter and a clean environment.
  • Make sure your dog or cat is licensed, so that it can be returned safely if it ever decides to leave home without you.
  • Have your pet spayed or neutered-sterilized pets are healthier and calmer and you’ll never have to deal with the problem of unwanted puppies or kittens.
  • Have your pets vaccinated regularly against rabies and other diseases.
  • Exercise your dog, but keep it on a leash. Dogs running free can be injured in traffic or by other dogs. You are legally responsible for any bites or property damage caused by your dog.
  • Keep your cats indoors, where it is perfectly happy and much safer. If you feel outdoor exercise is necessary, use a cat harness and leash or build an outdoor exercise enclosure.
  • Make sure you give your animal enough attention and companionship. Neglected, lonely animals often develop behaviour problems.
  • Clean up after your pet. Animal droppings are offensive and hazardous, whether on private or public property.
  • Make sure your dog gets basic obedience training.
  • Encourage neighbours with pets to follow these rules of responsible ownership.
  • Remember to consider your neighbours-Not everyone shares your love of animals.


Animal Control FAQ’s

Why purchase a tag for my dog or cat?

Purchasing a tag for your pet will ensure that your pet is returned to you safely if it is lost and found. The revenue from dog and cat tags helps to pay for the Animal Control Program and the care and feeding of stray dogs and cats.

When do I need to purchase a tag for my dog or cat?

Every owner of a dog or cat must purchase a tag on or before January 1st each year that he or she is the owner of the dog or cat.

Every person who becomes the owner of a dog or cat after January 1st, shall purchase a tag within 7 days of becoming the owner and on or before January 1st of each year after that.

You do not have to purchase a tag for your dog or cat until the dog or cat reaches 6 months old.

A new lifetime license is available for you to purchase for your dog or cat. Anyone wanting to purchase this type of license is required to have their pet microchipped or tattooed from a Veterinarian or other qualified person and their shots to date when application is made. Applicants are required to provide proof of services rendered by the Veterinarian or qualified individual.

What information do I need to provide when I purchase an animal tag?

For an Annual License Checklist Click Here.

For a Lifetime License Checklist Click Here.

Animal License Application Form Click Here.

How much does a dog or cat tag cost?

For applicable tag fees, please Click Here.

Where can I purchase a Tag?

Currently, the only location to purchase an animal tag is at:

Civic Centre
320 Portage Avenue
Fort Frances, ON P9A 3P9

Where is the Animal Shelter located?

The Animal Shelter is located at 900 Wright Avenue. For more information contact 274-5323 and leave a message.

Pets & Emergencies

For information about protecting your pets during emergencies, please click on the following links:

English -

French -

How many dogs and cats can I have?

There is no limit on the number of dogs and cats that a person can have. However, you are required to be able to provide adequate care for every dog or cat in your possession.

Are there rules about other types of animals that I can have?

Yes, the Town of Fort Frances Animal Control By-Law also regulates the keeping of other animals such as chickens, lizards, snakes, farm animals, etc. For information about the keeping of animals other than dogs and cats, please refer to the Animal Control By-Law or call the Animal Control Officers at (807) 274-5323.

When should I call Animal Control?

Some reasons that you may wish to call animal control are:

  • To report that your dog or cat is missing.
  • To file a complaint about a dog or cat such as excessive noise, or a dog or cat on your property without your consent.
  • If you find a stray dog or cat.
  • If you see a dog or cat that is off its leash or not under effective control of a responsible person.
  • If you are attacked by a dog or cat.
  • If an owner does not remove and dispose of excrement left by a dog or cat on public property or on private property without the consent of the property owner (poop and scoop).

How do I contact Animal Control?

The number to call is (807) 274-5323. If there is no answer, please leave a message. The Officers are normally out in the community and not in the office. Officers will return your call as soon as possible.

Animal Control Services are provided Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30 pm. (Summer hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm in July and August). There is no animal control services on Saturday, Sunday or Statutory Holidays.

The Officers will only respond to after hour’s calls if the call is an emergency. An example of an emergency is an incident involving a viscous dog or cat where another animal or a person is injured. If you have an emergency and cannot reach the Animal Control Officers, you may wish to call 911 and ask for the Police.

Reporting Animal Neglect & Abuse

Please contact the OSPCA – 310-SPCA (7722) or the OPP – 1-888-310-1122.

Are there areas in the Town where animals are to be leashed at all times?

Yes, animals are to be leashed at all times when walking in the areas of the Point Park and Seven Oaks, as well as all walking areas on Front Street (Water Front Area).

How long do you keep animals?

Under the Animals for Research Act, we are required to keep stray animals for a minimum of 3 days, excluding the day the animal was impounded and weekends and holidays. All stray animals turned into the Animal Control Officers are held for longer times depending on their temperament, or their health. During this period the animal is checked for tags, microchips, tattoo’s or any other type if identification. Every attempt is made to reunite these animals with their owners. At the end of the animal’s redemption period a decision is made as to whether the animal is suitable for adoption or not. This decision is based on the animal’s age, medical condition and temperament.